The PGA Tour plans to use up to one million COVID-19 test kits in order to complete the season, the Guardian reported Sunday.
A revised calendar was announced earlier this week, starting with the Charles Schwab Challenge in Fort Worth, Texas, from June 11-14.
The first four tournaments on the new schedule will be closed to spectators, but the Guardian estimates that 700 to 800 personnel will still be on site during the events.
“The rigorous testing procedures will involve players, caddies and officials being sent testing kits — already on mass order — to their homes, with a further and immediate check required if anyone has traveled to a tournament by air,” the newspaper reported. “Daily tests will subsequently be undertaken by each individual in tournament week, with anyone returning a positive result asked to self-quarantine for 14 days.”
A PGA Tour spokesman denied that the figure of one million tests was accurate.
“The Tour is still examining the issue of testing in consultation with leading medical experts,” the spokesman told the Guardian. “We have on numerous occasions said publicly that COVID-19 testing as it stands today is most critical across the healthcare world and in our communities.”
PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said previously that the tour won’t resume unless there is “widespread, large-scale testing” in the United States.
“We’re going to need to be able to test players, caddies and other constituents before we return, but we need to do so in a way that’s not going to take away from the critical need that we’re currently facing,” Monahan told NBC Sports. “We feel confident, based on the advice that we’re getting from medical experts, that we’ll be in that position.”