The Crown is expected to start its cross-examination of Steven Snively, one of two former Hamilton paramedics accused of not properly caring for a Hamilton teenager who was shot and died.
Snively, 55, drove the ambulance the night of Dec. 2, 2017 and was the first paramedic to make contact with 19-year-old Yosif Al-Hasnawi. The other paramedic, Christopher Marchant, 32, has also testified in his own defence.
The paramedics thought his wound was from a BB or pellet gun, the court has heard, and it took them 23 minutes to leave the scene at Main and Sanford in Hamilton’s lower city for St. Joseph’s Hospital.
But Al-Hasnawi had been shot with a hollow-point bullet from a .22-caliber handgun at 8:55 p.m. that night. He was pronounced dead at the hospital at 9:58 p.m.
The court has heard the teen died with two litres of blood in his abdominal cavity.
The two paramedics are charged with failing to provide him the necessaries of life.
Snively has testified that he was the one to dismiss firefighters from the scene. He thought he and Marchant could handle the situation. But when his patient died, he said, he was in disbelief.
When Marchant testified, he described Al-Hasnawi as “uncooperative” and said he thought the teen was having a psychiatric emergency. He told the court he feels partly responsible for his death, though he doesn’t blame himself for it.
The trial will be decided by Justice Harrison Arrell alone. It started at the John Sopinka Courthouse in Hamilton on Nov. 24 and is continuing online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Crown attorneys are Scott Patterson and Linda Shin.
Defence attorneys are Jeffrey Manishen of Hamilton, who represents Marchant, and Michael DeGobbo of St. Catharines, who represents Snively.
The person who shot Al-Hasnawi, Dale King, was acquitted last year of second-degree murder. That case is being appealed.