The COVID-19 outbreak at Windsor’s Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare has grown from five to 17 cases, hospital CEO Janice Kaffer said.
Five of those who tested positive for the novel coronavirus are patients, while 12 are staff members. All of the cases are connected to an outbreak on one section of the hospital’s rehab unit that was declared on Sunday.
Kaffer told reporters during an update on Tuesday that test results for everyone affected have come back and hospital officials don’t anticipate more cases.
Meanwhile, the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) reported 62 new cases Tuesday, along with one additional fatality.
The deceased patient was a resident of a long term care facility, WECHU CEO Theresa Marentette said. Eighty people in Windsor-Essex have died due to COVID-19 since March.
Of the new cases, 16 are close contacts of a confirmed case, 11 are local health-care workers, six are community acquired, one is an agri-farm worker and 27 are still under investigation.
The figures come a day after Windsor-Essex entered the red “control” zone, the second highest tier in the province’s COVID-19 restrictions framework.
Medical officer of health Dr. Wajid Ahmed said Monday said the region was at risk of entering the strongest stage of restrictions — a lockdown — but that there was no specific criteria for entering that stage.
There are seven workplace outbreaks, including:
- Three in Leamington’s agriculture sector.
- One in Lakeshore’s health care and social assistance sector.
- One in a Leamington place of worship.
- One in Leamington’s finance and insurance sector.
- One in Windsor’s manufacturing sector.
Two community outbreaks are still active, one at Victoria Manor Supportive Living in Windsor and another at Riverplace Residence in Windsor.
Two schools — Frank W. Begley Public School and W. J. Langlois Catholic Elementary School — also remain in outbreak.
There are five long-term care and retirement homes in outbreak, including:
- Village of Aspen Lake in Tecumseh with one staff case.
- Leamington Mennonite in Leamington with one staff case.
- Chartwell Royal Oak Residence in Kingsville with one staff case.
- Riverside place in Windsor with 17 resident cases and three staff cases.
- Iler Lodge in Essex with 18 resident cases and three staff cases.